12.04.2009

framed

at last.
Erin Curry spindle drawing framed
After hanging above our bed by binder clips for nearly a year, this work may have feared it was never getting a proper frame. I like bare paper very much for its tactility, and the sculptural objecthood of a sheet of paper seems much more accessible when not under glass. In addition, the I-wanna-touch-everything-in-museums part of me takes a perverse enjoyment in leaving art bare and ready for careful caresses. This week I finally caved, in part to see how it would change under glass and to explore how I might keep the feel of drawing-as-artifact.

Erin Curry spindle drawing framing desk shotOver the last couple of days I worked out how to float it on matboard using tabs and put in custom half-inch spacers between the work and the glass. Overall I'm very happy with the look, though part of me still wants to forgo the glass and the resulting glare. One of the other permutations I'd explore in the future is making a still deeper frame and including the little skein of wool made in the creation of this work on a shelf inside, maybe stitched in place to prevent it traveling around inside the frame.

Despite my initial obstinacy at the use of frames my mind is whirring with ways I could use them in future work, and fully integrate them into the concept from start to finish.

2 comments:

Marchi Wierson said...

my trouble with frames and glass is the reflective aspect. I see myself look at the art when there is glass. This feels like different work when I do not see myself as I look.

kirsten said...

yes, i prefer seeing the paper 'unrestrained' within the frame, too. i have a few etchings i have framed this way.
but if i could leave them unframed with no long term deterioration - yes, please!
this is such a beautiful piece of work. perfect for above the bed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...